In 2011, the Truckee Donner Land Trust closed on this 152-acre property off State Route 267 across from the entrance to Northstar California™. The Middle Fork of Martis Creek, a year round stream, runs for nearly a mile through the property. The property consists of Jeffrey Pine forest uplands and three large mountain meadows. The Land Trust recently partnered with the Truckee River Watershed Council to address the impact Highway 267 construction by restoring the creek into its historical course. A temporary irrigation system that is visible from Highway 267 will ensure that newly planted vegetation thrives. Key partners in the acquisition include the Truckee Tahoe Airport District, The Northern Sierra Partnership, Mountain Area Preservation Foundation, Sierra Watch, the Truckee River Watershed Council, and East West Partners.
For two years in the 1870s, Elizabethtown Meadows was a booming silver rush town.
WHAT TO DO THERE
- Wander through the meadow and see how many species of wildflowers you can find
- Look for birds
- Enjoy views of the Pacific Crest
HOW TO GET THERE
Currently, there is no parking nor trailhead access for Elizabethtown Meadows, although work to provide this access from Northstar's Castle Peak parking area is underway.
Take Highway 267 to Northstar California resort. Park in the Northstar's Castle Peak parking area Red Lot #1. At the back of the lot find the trailhead that will take you down the hill to the Northstar realtor parking lot. The trail continues around the realtor office to the traffic light on Highway 267. Cross Highway 267 at the traffic light, follow the trail down a short drop off to start your hike.
RULES, REGULATIONS, GOOD TO KNOW
- The trail to Waddle Ranch Preserve will be open to hiking, running, bicycling, and non-motorized winter use
- Unauthorized motorized vehicles of any kind are strictly prohibited
- Fishing, hunting and discharging firearms are prohibited
- Fires of any kind, including camp stoves and smoking, are prohibited
- Open for day use only
OTHER LAND TRUST PROPERTIES IN THE AREA